How to Join
We welcome any city or town in the world to commit to the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy, regardless of size or location. Cities or local governments that want to formalize a commitment to GCoM should submit a commitment document, which must be signed by an appropriately mandated official according to local governmental procedures.
Download & sign the commitment letter template
Chose your country and select your language of preference, where available, and complete your commitment document.
Choose a country
Choose a language
Send the letter to your regional/national covenant
After signing your letter, please send it to the email address displayed below.
Communicate and start planning
Communicate about your commitment to your citizens and local media!
To support you in this, we will send you a communications toolkit by email upon receiving your commitment document.
Develop citywide knowledge, goals, and plans that aim at least as high as your country’s own climate protection commitment(s) or Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) to the Paris Climate Agreement. With support from GCoM, global and regional networks, and other partners, you will:
- Develop a greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventory
- Assess climate risks and vulnerabilities of your city
- Define ambitious climate mitigation, resilience and energy targets
- Create full climate action plans
The Global Covenant of Mayors has three official platforms through which cities can share their progress:
- CDP-ICLEI Unified Reporting Platform
- EU Covenant of Mayors Reporting Platform
- Identify city-specific hazards and conduct a climate risk and vulnerability assessment.
- Define ambitious climate mitigation targets – ideally stronger than your national targets as defined in your country’s Nationally Determined Commitment (NDC).
- Create full climate action and adaptation plans, in line with the agreed timeline in your commitment document.
Track & Report
Don’t forget to track and report your progress on a regular basis.