What is Innovate4Cities?
The Innovate4Cities initiative will focus on specific cities’ research and innovation needs, exploring ways to incorporate these priorities into national research agendas. These efforts will be synthesized into the first-ever cities driven research and innovation agenda to be delivered at the Global Climate Action Summit in San Francisco. The aim of this initiative is to catalyze the scientific advances necessary to better equip cities with the intelligence and tools to drive even more ambitious climate action.
Co-Generating the Agenda
Innovate4Cities Focus Areas
Science and Research
- Produce significant momentum to produce climate change science and innovation research on- and for cities
- Drive evidence-based action and innovation related to climate change and sustainability in cities
- Create demand for detailed downscaled climate models and social science on urban systems that cannot be met with current knowledge and global climate models.
Innovation and Technology
- Tomorrow’s innovations must help cities to significantly reduce their emissions while making them more resilient.
- Opportunities must be scaled to help cities catalyze, pilot, and procure new technology.
- Unique partnerships and implementation models need to create solutions for cities of all scales and enhance access to technology globally, not just for well-resourced cities.
City Data Gaps
- Still significant data gaps for cities to measure, plan, and monitor mitigation and resilience actions.
- Key data is difficult to access or even disaggregate from the national level.
- Need for accurate data so policymakers, researchers and civil society can acquire the necessary knowledge and justification to pursue and analyze recommendations concerning mitigation and adaptation policy.
Building the Innovate4Cities Agenda
3. – 4. Mar
Change for Climate Roundtable
Edmonton / Canada
26. – 28. Apr
ICLEI resilient cities congress
Bonn / Germany
GCoM South Asia launch event / R&I Workshop
New Delhi / India
21. – 25. May
Mission Innovation and Clean Energy Ministerial (Cities Event: 5/23)
Malmo / Sweden
08. – 11. Jun
US Conference of Mayors – regional covenant meeting
Boston / US
19. – 23. Jun
ICLEI world congress
Montreal / Canada
25. – 29. Jun
United Nations Asia-Pacific Climate Week
Singapore / Singapore
27. – 29. Jun
Abidjan / Ivory Coast
29. – 30. Jun
GCoM Africa partners meeting
Abidjan / Ivory Coast
05. – 07. Jul
1st UCLG intermediary cities world forum
Chefchaouen / Morocco
20. – 25. Aug
UN LACA Climate week
Montevideo / Uruguay
12. – 14. Sep
Global Climate Action Summit
San Francisco / US
One Planet Summit follow up meeting (alongside Bloomberg Global Business Forum)
New York / US