The Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy Board provides strategic direction for the newly established initiative.
Ten mayors or local government officials have been appointed to the Board to be representative of the global city networks and provide regionally specific perspectives – ensuring that the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy is truly led by mayors. This will ensure that a bottom-up/city-led approach is embedded in the governance system of the initiative.
European Commission Vice-President Maroš Šefčovič and former New York mayor and UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for Cities and Climate Change Michael Bloomberg who will co-chair the Board. Former UNFCCC Executive Secretary, Christiana Figueres, serves as Vice-Chair. Current UNFCCC Executive Secretary, Patricia Espinosa, joins the Board as an Advisor and Observer.
The Board’s 2017 Mayoral Members are:
- Mayor Kasim Reed (Atlanta, USA)
- Mayor Patricia De Lille (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Mayor Mohamed Sefiani (Chefchaouen, Morocco)
- Mayor Anne Hidalgo (Paris, France)
- Mayor Mauricio Rodas (Quito, Ecuador)
- Mayor Jaiman Upadhyay (Rajkot, India)
- Mayor Park Won-soon (Seoul, South Korea)
- Mayor Tri Rismarharini (Surabaya, Indonesia)
- Mayor Gregor Robertson (Vancouver, Canada)